Thursday, April 2, 2009

Classes and such.

To prove that I actaully am in school down here, I thought I'd add in a little overview of the classes I am taking. There are five right now. Oh, and the titles are in spanish, so I'm just gonna translate those.

Chilean culture and society: The title explains this one pretty well, but we discuss what chile's all about essentially, do readings/presentations on various places. Pretty straightforward.

Spanish strategies and grammar: Also straightforward title here, if my class schedule was american tv, this would be the "dirty jobs" show. If you catch my drift.

Pronouncion: This class actually hasn't started yet, but is also really staightforward. If my class schedule was lessons learned as a child, this would be "table edicut."

Cultures in Contact: A relatively new class, which is part class with half chilean, half international students. We discuss the differences between our cultures and the subsequent contact. Also with this class, is volunteer work. Soon, within the next two weeks, I'd say, I will be teaching english at a local Vina or Valpo school. I'm really excited about that one.

Latin American Literature: By far my most difficult class, we have a professor who proclaims the life "desperanza" or something like that, which is hopelessness. An interesting class because it requires us to argue in spanish. Which is REALLY hard. There is an englishish professor to help with translations. But interesting and intimidating.

A little note: all of said classes are taught in spanish(with the exception of cultures in contact, which is half english, half spanish). So thats really tough. Its particularly difficult when you ask for a definition of a word, and the spanish definition contains three more words you don't know. But hey, its all part of the learning process.

This weekend: heading to santiago to pick up Dad, hike Cajon de Maipo, and see the general sites. Should be fun! You, reader of this blog, you have a good day.

-Brian

Spanish saying of the week: "Oye! Wachita!"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some really great stuff they have you doing out there, I'm jealous! Hope you're having a good time with Pappa Casey and nos hablamos pronto :)

    ReplyDelete