Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Returnin

So, im sitting in the lobby of my hostal in Arequipa, preparing for the voyage home. I start in an hour, with a bus to the border of Chile, and will arrive in the states nearly two days from now. It shall be an interesting and exhausting journey, not without visits to friends and family in viña for a good portion of tomorrow. But all n all, i´m really excited to get home.

Some cool things about Arequipa-
It is surronded by giant snow covered mountains, and its quite hot here(70s or 80s?). also, the city is called the white city, because of the literal appearence of most buildings of white. They made of this type of stone called sillar, which is cooled lava from a nearby giant volcano (over 18000 feet). Its a pretty neat colour scheme.

Where I am staying, near the plaza de armas, there are a ton of cops and security guards. I havent felt so safe, since, well since I left Chile. Its pretty sweet. Also, there are a lot of female cops, almost half are women(of total cops, clearly). Quite an interesting detail, i'd say.

The Plaza de armas here, aside from being very picturesque, is really strange. It is Always packed with peruvians. People are everywhere, just standing around doing nothing. I´ve never seen some much random loitering in my life. The going theory is that every arequipeño uses the plaza de armas as meeting place, so its constantly full of waiting peruvians.

Food: Peruvian food has been far superior to Bolivian, but far more likely to cause sickness. Nothin too bad, but unfortunate because of its tastiness. Also, last night tried some Cuy, also called guinea pig. Twasn´t that tasty, nor did it have like any meat(I actually only ate a leg of bri´s cuy). A good experiance, but not really too delicious.

The ice cream was fantastic in Chile, and quite lackluster in Bolivia and Peru. Its a craving that will be solved by Avon´s myriad of ice cream shops.

Things dont really slow down once I get back to the states, which I´m pretty pleased about. I´ve got two weeks to spend at home with the mom and dad, eating delicious foods and doing all sorts of chores and speaking english all the time- then we're off to California to visit the ole brother for a week or so. Upon returning, I´ll have a less than a day at home, and then be off to the Merrimack for the final round. It should be good, i´m quite excited for the future.

Whelp, I´m off to the bus station. Chao ya´lls

-Brian

Final spanish saying: No veo la hora de llegar a mi hogar!

No comments:

Post a Comment