Thursday, May 28, 2009

San Pedro Stories

San Pedro was certainly a less expansive, less bad weathered, and less crazy trip, but good just this the same. While the theme of Patagonia may have been hauling a large backpack up a rainy mountain, this one would be, relaxing in the quaint desert town of San Pedro de Atacama.

We spent our time here enjoying the sights on foot, bikes(which was definitely my favorite part), and bus tours.

First, the bikes. I enjoyed biking back in my high school and younger days, and man, these bikes were perfect. They were mountain bikes, of decent quality with shocks and disc brakes, with semi flat tires. For some reason, it was extremely easy to skid with these bikes, something I was really good at by the end of our trip. So fun! We went to some ruins, had to bike through some streams to get there, and such like that.

Got to go to all sorts of places you saw in the pictures. Quite neat. Met some two Isreali fellahs that me and a friends talked to for hours around a campfire, learning about their lives(they were 22, and were both captains in the army for four years). They appeared much older than I would have guessed, but I guess maturity is something that comes pretty quickly over there. People of the same age in the US, are on a whole, a lot different, and probably a lot less mature. I couldn't decide if this was a good or bad thing for awhile, and I'm still not sure. The more people I talk to, the more places I visit, the more I realize how little I(and other people) actually know. (Not to pull a Socrates or anything)

In other stuff, my spanish is coming along decently. I constantly feel I should be working harder on it, and studying more, but I have learned alot. This being said, it still feels like I know nothing, because there are still the moments of not being able to express what I want to say. Except now I can't fully express my opinions in arguments instead of being unable to express how I would like more food. So coming along, coming along.

Giving presentations in another language is difficult!

Gotta run to a little shindig for a friend who is headed back to the states tomorrow, chao!

-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment